Cosmetic Dentistry Procedures
We have a range of different types of cosmetic dentistry procedures available at Totally Smile!
What most people don’t realise, is that the dental problems which negatively affect the appearance of your smile, can also affect the function of your mouth, causing problems biting, chewing, and even speaking clearly.
This is where cosmetic dentistry can help! Cosmetic dentistry is used by dentists to correct a range of issues to improve the appearance of your teeth, mouth, and smile. By using a range of cosmetic dental procedures, your dentist will not only be able to enhance the appearance of your smile but can improve the function of your mouth as well.
Cosmetic dentistry is an efficient and effective way to restore your smile and the function of your mouth. This type of dentistry is not always needed by a patient and in most cases, is chosen to help enhance the look of their smile. However, while patients chose it for its aesthetic value, dentists can recommend cosmetic dentistry to improve the function of your mouth to a certain degree.
Patients can either opt for a single treatment or an entire smile makeover which involves using various cosmetic dentistry procedures to help correct and alter their smile. This depends on the severity of their dental problems and the wishes of the patient.
Types of Cosmetic Dentistry Procedures
With all the great and innovative advancements made in the dental field, there are many cosmetic dentistry procedures now available to our patients:
- Teeth whitening: If a whiter smile is what you’re after then a professional teeth whitening is the procedure for you. Teeth whitening essentially involves bleaching your teeth to remove stains and discolouration. Your dentist will use a special bleaching agent to accomplish this, which works more effectively than over-the-counter teeth whitening kits and toothpastes. Teeth whitening can drastically improve the appearance of your smile by making it whiter and brighter. If this treatment doesn’t help, your dentist might recommend veneers.
- Veneers: These are thin covers which are bonded directly over the front of your teeth. They are custom-made to match the colour of your natural teeth and are made from porcelain. Porcelain veneers are mostly used to cover up stains on teeth, discolouration, small cracks, chips, or gaps in teeth. They are a popular cosmetic dentistry choice since they can give you a perfect-looking smile almost instantly.
- Crowns: Dental crowns are covers or caps placed directly over damaged or decaying teeth. Like veneers, they are made to match the colour of your natural teeth, so they are completely inconspicuous. Crowns are used to prevent further damage from occurring to an already damaged tooth and help prevent the spread of bacteria into the tooth – which can happen if you have cavities – causing pain and infection (which could require a root canal to resolve).
- Enamel shaping: This is a fairly simple procedure during which your dentist will file your teeth to reshape it and alter its size and help correct minor cracks and chips or even reposition it slightly to enhance your smile.
- Implants: The gaps left by missing teeth can become home to bacteria, cause the surrounding teeth to begin shifting, and can make biting and chewing uncomfortable. Dental implants are metal posts or frames on which a replacement tooth is fitted. The frames are surgically fitted to the jaw bone, so they are a more permanent form of cosmetic dentistry. Dental implants can also enhance your smile by making it look fuller and more complete.
- Composite fillings: Teeth that have cavities are usually cleaned out and filled. Fillings are usually made of metals however these days composite resin fillings are also available. These are tooth-coloured (matching the natural colour of your teeth) and are bonded to the walls of your teeth using a special adhesive. Unlike metal fillings, composite resin fillings require less of your natural tooth to be removed, so you will be saving more of your tooth!
Totally Smiles Dental | Cairns
Cosmetic dentistry can improve the appearance and function of your mouth. If you would like to learn more about the types of cosmetic dentistry procedures available at Totally Smiles, then book an appointment by calling us on (07) 4031 2134 or complete the form on our contact us page today.