USES FOR CEREC TECHNOLOGY
Dental Restoration with CEREC Technology Kerwin Street Dental
Thanks to all the amazing technological advancements made in dental care, Kerwin Street Dental in Cairns can proudly offer you efficient and effective treatments. Dental restorations using CEREC Technology will have you smiling in no time!
Getting a dental restoration (such as a filling or crown) can be an uncomfortable process and can sometimes take a few appointments to complete.
CEREC Technology was designed to simplify this process. It allows your dentist to design, manufacture, and fit your new dental restoration in one appointment.
This innovative technology is not only quick but it also provides more aesthetic and durable results making the restoration feel as natural as possible.
What is CEREC Technology?
CEREC (Chairside Economical Restoration of Esthetic Ceramics) is a form of dental technology that makes use of 3D photography and CAD/CAM (computer-aided design and computer-aided manufacturing) technology and printing to create ceramic restorations for your mouth.
This technology can be used to create restorations to replace defective fillings and crowns, for example, and can be completed in one appointment.
Your dentist will take 3D photos of your teeth and use the CAD/CAM technology to create the ceramic restorations. This usually means that your dentist won’t need to take impressions of your teeth.
The Benefits of CEREC Technology
This dental technology is a popular form of treatment due to its many benefits. CEREC Technology is:
- Convenient: The restorations can be made, printed and fitted all on the same day and at your dentist’s office while you wait, making it a convenient option especially for those who are working.
- Multiple Restorations: Previously, patients who required multiple restorations would have to visit their dentist several times over a few weeks/months to complete each treatment. With CEREC Technology, multiple restorations can be completed (designed, manufactured, bonded, and polished) in one visit, meaning you’ll get back your naturally beautiful smile in less time!
- Precise: Each restoration is made by taking a 3D photo of your teeth resulting in more accurate corrections. Your dentist will also be able to make any corrections immediately since you are fitted on-site.
- Comfortable: Made from metal-free materials and for a more precise fit, CEREC restorations are more comfortable and feel more natural than regular forms of restoration. Patients can also avoid the discomfort associated with creating dental impressions since your dentist will simply take a photo of your teeth for examination and diagnosis before creating the restorations.
- Efficient and Long-lasting: By using 3D photography and printing instead of sending impressions to the lab, a patient’s restorations will be more accurate since changes can be made by the dentist (while you’re still in the chair) and no refitting will be required. Thanks to its more precise fit, stronger bonding technology, and the high durability of its ceramic, the CEREC restorations can last a long time, provided they are properly cared for.
What can CEREC Technology be used for?
Many people believe that CEREC Technology can only be used to create dental crowns however, there are a number of dental restorations that can be created using this technology to help give you a brighter and more perfect smile.
Inlay Restoration – When a patient has an amalgam filling (which is a mixture of mercury, silver, tin, and copper) they will often experience a breakdown of this filling over time which can cause further damage to the tooth structure. The materials used to create CEREC inlays however, mimic your tooth’s natural composition and colour so that the filling will look and feel as natural as your normal healthy teeth and will result in less (if any) future damage to the natural tooth.
Onlay Restoration – Silver amalgam restorations will often become dull and unappealing over time due to the recurrent decay that occurs. CEREC onlays (or partial crowns) are made to match your natural teeth as closely as possible (both in appearance and structure) and are placed directly over a tooth to retain its original structure and cover up any bumps and imperfections on the surface. It also protects the tooth from further damage.
Crowns – CEREC Technology is best known for its ability to create durable and attractive crowns which are placed over damaged teeth to restore its appearance, strength, size, and shape. CEREC crowns look and feel like your natural teeth giving back your naturally beautiful smile while preserving as much of the healthy tooth structure as possible.
Veneers – Veneers are thin covers (or shells) made from porcelain and are bonded to teeth to cover up small gaps, damage, staining, chips, and cracks and improve your smile’s appearance. Veneers can be made using CEREC Technology and are custom-designed for each tooth and restore it to its original appearance.
Kerwin Street Dental | Cairns
If you would like to learn more about CEREC Technology or would like to book an appointment call us on (07) 4031 2134 or complete the form on our contact us page today!